• A Brief History of Derry Township School District
     
    History of DTSD
    1817

    Fifteen small one-room schoolhouses built.

    1905

    The McKinley School was built as the township’s first high school.

    1914

    M.S. Hershey Consolidated School was built and donated by M.S. Hershey.

    1924

    M.S. Hershey Junior-Senior High School was built and donated by M.S. Hershey.

    1929

    Vocational School built and donated by M.S. Hershey.

    1954

    Homestead Elementary School was built and donated by M.S. Hershey Foundation.

    1956

    Addition to Homestead Elementary School built and donated by M.S. Hershey Foundation.

    1958

    Annex to Junior High School built and donated by M.S. Hershey Foundation.

    1960

    Junior High School Gymnasium built and donated by M.S. Hershey Foundation.

    1961

    Renovation of the former Intermediate School. 

    1966

    Senior High School completed.

    1971

    Renovation of M.S. Hershey Junior High School completed. 

    1975

    Addition to Homestead Elementary School completed.

    1975

    Addition of Hostetter Athletic Field to Senior High School.

    1984

    Transfer of ninth grade to the Senior High building. The beginning of M.S. Hershey Middle School for grades six, seven, and eight.

    1987

    Transfer fifth grade to M.S. Hershey Middle School.

    1988

    Transfer fourth grade to M.S. Hershey Middle School. 

    1990

    Addition to Hershey Elementary School completed. Fourth and fifth grades transfer back to Hershey Elementary School.

    1996

    Hershey High School completed. Houses grades nine through twelve.

    1996

    District Office temporarily moves to Granada Property. 

    1997

    District Office moves to the Middle School.

    1998

    Conversion of the former High School into the current Middle School is completed. Houses grades six through eight.

    2000

    Transportation Department relocates to the Derry Township Municipal Authority building at Clearview Avenue location.

    2001

    Renovations to cinder track field house completed. Financed by the DTSD and the Hershey Youth Football Association.

    2002

    Renovation of the Granada Property into the District Office is completed.

    2002

    Renovation of the former Transportation Department property into the Buildings and Grounds and Food Services Department.

    2002

    Middle School expansion project is completed.

    2002

    Early Childhood Center completed.  Houses kindergarten and first grade.

    2002

    Founders Park completed. Joint effort between the DTSD, Milton Hershey School, and the Derry Township Board of Supervisors.

    2002

    Granada Gym and Fitness Center opens. Joint effort between the DTSD and the Derry Township Board of Supervisors.

    2007

    Addition to Hershey High School completed
    2010Bus corrals added to campus.  New two-tiered bus system put into place.
    2010New entrance and media center added to Hershey Middle School.
    2011
     
     
    Earth movement below Early Childhood Center leads to year-long relocation of First Grade and Kindergarten classes to elementary building and district Administration Offices